Ensuring proper identifications is one way to ensure safety. All Illinois American Water employees carry identification cards with them. In addition, many employees wear uniforms and use vehicles and equipment marked with the Illinois American Water logo. Illinois American Water also partners with local contractors on projects. Contractors must also show photo ID before entering customers’ premises and may not solicit or accept payment for company services.
Illinois American Water encourages customers in doubt to verify if someone is an Illinois American Water employee or a contractor working for Illinois American Water. All they need to do is call the customer service center at 1-800-422-2782 or ask to see the person’s identification card.
Home repair and telemarketing scams often target the elderly. These tips, provided by the Illinois Department on Aging, can help prevent falling victim to fraud:
– Get estimates and check references before doing home renovations
– Don’t pay for home repair work in advance.
– Don’t be pressured into buying something “right now.”
– Don’t give your credit card or bank account numbers to anyone over the phone unless you made the call.
– Remember- if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
If a senior citizen you know has been a victim of a scam, break the silence and call the Illinois Department on Aging confidential, 24-hour hotline at 1-866-800-1409.