BY IMAM KAMIL MUFTI
The Moslems (Muslims) Are Coming!
After giving quite a bit of thought to this column, I decided to talk about a common phrase I hear in the media and from some of our politicians about Islam and Muslims:
“All Muslims are not terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.”
Is it true? Before I answer the question, can you be open-minded to entertain the possibility that a white American Christian can be a terrorist? If the answer is no, please don’t read any further. If the answer is yes, then please continue.
According to a New York Times survey of 382 law enforcement agencies across the country, 74 percent reported that right wing, anti-government extremism is among the top three terrorist threats in their jurisdiction.
The numbers support that conclusion. Since 9/11, nine Muslim-Americans have been involved in about six plots a year, resulting in about 50 fatalities. On the other hand, right-wing extremists have averaged 337 attacks a year, killing 254 people, including 25 police officers.
Here are some facts:
- Knoxville Church shooting: a devout Christian and anti-abortion right-winger walked into a Knoxville church in 2008 and began firing a shotgun at children. He killed two and wounded seven, targeting “the church because of its liberal teachings and his belief that all liberals should be killed because they were ruining the country.”
- According to the National Abortion Federation, there have been 17 attempted murders, 383 death threats, 153 incidents of assault or battery, 13 wounded, 100 butyric acid attacks, 373 physical invasions, 41 bombings, 655 anthrax threats, and three kidnappings committed against abortion providers since 1977. A strain of Christianity in the United States has never accepted Roe v. Wade, which allowed women to have an abortion.
Last month, Robert Dear, a known staunch abortion opponent, shot and killed a police officer and 2 civilians. In divorce papers from 1993, his ex-wife said, “He claims to be a Christian and is extremely evangelistic… . He says that as long as he believes, he will be saved, he can do whatever he pleases.”
Sadly, some Christian friends who shout the loudest against “sharia law” are perfectly happy to impose their own, Christian “sharia” on secular American society.
- 1995 Oklahoma City Bombings by Timothy McVeigh who was born a Catholic and was strongly influenced by the “Christian Identity” movement.
- KKK: created after the American Civil War in the name of Protestant Christians, it still has a membership of 5,000 to 8,000. Just a few weeks ago, Frazier Cross, the leader of the Carolina Knights of the KKK, was sentenced to death by lethal injection for murdering a 14-year-old girl and two seniors outside the Overland Park Jewish Community Center in Kansas City. He gave the Hitler salute during his trial and declared that “Jews are destroying the white race.”
- Dylaan Roof opened fire in AME Church in Charleston, S.C., killing nine worshippers, including the pastor and a State Senator. Roof was a member of a local Lutheran church and had a Confederate license plate on his vehicle. A survivor said that Roof yelled, ‘I have to do it. You rape our women and you’re taking over our country. And you have to go.’ He later acknowledged that he did the shooting to ignite a race war.
Please do not ever think again, ‘All Muslims are not terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.’ Use the facts in this article to counter the false narrative.